Thursday, March 13, 2014

Delicious Turkey Burger

I have never really liked turkey burgers, every time I have had one they always taste like cardboard and are extremely dry, which does not make for good eats. Since my husband and I are trying to eat more healthy I decided to give them another go, however this time I made the burger mixture myself and added lots of ingredients I know my family enjoys. Not to toot my own horn, but these burgers were DELICIOUS! Even my husband thought so, which is always a good sign when I am trying new recipes. I will definitely be making these again!
1 lb ground turkey; 93% lean, 7% fat
1 Gala or Fuji apple, peeled and diced into small cubes
2 large garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup chives, chopped
1/3 cup parsley, chopped
1/4 cup apricot preserve or jam; cranberry would also be good
1 tps. Tabasco hot sauce
2 tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
1 lemon, juice and zest
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

In a small skillet, heat 1 tbs. olive oil over medium heat, then saute the apples and garlic till tender, about 10 minute. After the apples and garlic have cooked allow them to cool for about 10-15 minutes. In a medium sized bowl mix together the apples, garlic, chives, parsley, apricot preserve, Tabasco, lemon juice, lemon zest, and salt and pepper. Add the ground turkey and mix until just combined, make sure not to over-mix otherwise the burgers will be tough. Place the burger mixture in the fridge for at least 30 minutes up to 6 hours.

After the mixture has chilled, form into four patties, and salt and pepper both sides. In a large skillet, heat 1 tbs. olive oil over medium-high heat. Place the burgers in the skillet and cook for 7 minutes on each side. You could also cook the burgers on a grill over medium-high heat for about 7 minutes on each side.

I served the burgers on a toasted roll with a small smear of mayonnaise, a slice of provolone cheese, and a handful of arugula. Enjoy!

Note: Even after letting the burger mixture rest in the fridge all day, the burgers were very loose. Next time I make these I will probably add an egg to the mixture or some bread crumbs. Also, my husband thought they were a little spicy, so you might want to add less Tabasco if you are sensitive to heat like he is.

No comments:

Post a Comment